Chinese New Year, also known as the Spring Festival, is a major holiday in China and many other countries worldwide with a significant Chinese population. It is typically celebrated with various cultural activities, including games and other traditional pastimes. Here are a few ideas for games and activities that you can enjoy during the Chinese New Year:
What are the most exciting traditional games you can play during the Chinese New Year 2024?
Many traditional games are played during Chinese New Year, including :
Mahjong is a popular tile-based game that originated in China and is often played during Chinese New Year and other special occasions. It is typically played with four players and a set of 144 tiles, divided into suits of bamboo, circles, and characters. The game’s objective is to create a winning hand by collecting sets of tiles and declaring a win when you have a certain combination of tiles, such as four of a kind or a full house.
There are many game variations, and the rules can vary slightly depending on the region and the specific version being played. Each player generally starts with 13 tiles and takes turns drawing and discarding tiles until they have a winning hand. Points are awarded for each win, and the game continues until one player reaches a predetermined score or all of the tiles have been used up.
Mahjong is a fun and engaging game that people of all ages can enjoy. It is a great activity to include in your celebrations for the Year of the Dragon, which is the lunar calendar year that begins on February 10, 2024. If you are new to the game, you can try learning the basic rules and practice playing with a few friends or family members to get the hang of it.
Weiqi, also known as Go, is a strategic board game that originated in China and is often played during Chinese New Year and other special occasions. It is played on a board with a 19×19 grid of intersecting lines, and the objective of the game is to control more territory on the board than your opponent by placing black or white stones on the intersections.
Weiqi is a complex and challenging game that requires strategic thinking and careful planning. Two players play it, each taking turns to place their stones on the board. The game continues until all of the intersections on the board have been occupied or one player resigns. Points are awarded for each territory a player controls, and the player with the most points at the end of the game is the winner.
If you are interested in playing weiqi during Chinese New Year 2024, there are a few different ways to get started. You can try learning the game’s basic rules and practicing with a friend or family member. You can also find online resources and tutorials to help you improve your skills. There may also be local clubs or groups in your area where you can join other weiqi players and participate in organized games or tournaments.
Xiangqi – Chinese Chess
Xiangqi, also known as Chinese chess, is a strategic board game that originated in China and is often played during Chinese New Year and other special occasions. It is played on a board with a 9×10 grid of intersecting lines, and the game’s objective is to capture your opponent’s general, similar to the king in Western chess.
Xiangqi is a complex and challenging game that requires strategic thinking and careful planning. It is played by two players, each taking turns moving their pieces on the board. The game continues until one player captures the opponent’s general or the game is declared a draw.
Most Exciting Activities for Kids During Chinese New Year 2024
Make some Chinese Dumplings for Chinese New Year 2024
Dumplings are a popular food during Chinese New Year and are easy to make at home. You can use store-bought or homemade dough to make the wrappers, and fill them with a variety of ingredients, such as ground meat, vegetables, or seafood.
Make your own dragon mask or Dragon Puppet
A Chinese dragon mask is a fun and easy craft kids can make to celebrate Chinese New Year or dress up for a play or costume party. Here is a simple tutorial for making a Chinese dragon mask:
- Colored construction paper or cardstock (red, yellow, green, and black)
- Glue or tape
- Elastic string or ribbon
- Cut out a large oval shape from the red construction paper to be the mask’s base. This will be the dragon’s head.
- Cut out two long, thin triangles from the green construction paper to be the dragon’s ears. Glue or tape the ears to the top of the mask.
- Cut out two small circles from the yellow construction paper to be the dragon’s eyes. Glue or tape the eyes to the mask.
- Cut out a small black triangle from the black construction paper to be the dragon’s nose. Glue or tape the nose to the mask.
- Cut out a long strip of black construction paper to be the dragon’s beard. Glue or tape the beard to the mask.
- Cut out two long strips of red construction paper to be the dragon’s whiskers. Glue or tape the whiskers to the mask.
- Cut out a long strip of red construction paper to be the dragon’s tongue. Glue or tape the tongue to the mask.
- Tie the elastic string or ribbon to the mask’s sides so it can be worn.
Make Chinese Zodiac Animal Puppets
Chinese zodiac animal puppets are a fun and easy craft that kids can make to celebrate Chinese New Year or play with at any time of the year. The Chinese zodiac is a system of 12 animals representing the 12 lunar calendar years, with each animal associated with certain personality traits. Here is a simple tutorial for making Chinese zodiac animal puppets:
- Colored construction paper or cardstock (in the colors of the animal you are making)
- Glue or tape
- Markers or crayons
- Straws or craft sticks
- Cut out the basic shape of the animal from the colored construction paper. For example, if you are making a dragon puppet, cut out a long, curved body and two legs.
- Cut out any additional features, such as the animal’s head, ears, and tail, from the colored construction paper. Glue or tape these features onto the animal’s body.
- Use markers or crayons to add details to the animal, such as eyes, noses, and mouths.
- Glue or tape a straw or craft stick to the back of the animal’s body to make a handle for the puppet.
Other traditions and activities for CNY 2024
- put up decorations,
- offer sacrifices to ancestors,
- eat a reunion dinner with family on New Year’s Eve,
- give red envelopes and other gifts,
- firecrackers and fireworks,
- watch lion and dragon dances.
My name is Master Chen and I have been practicing Chinese astrology and feng shui for more than two decades. This is an ancient art that I have mastered over the years.
I appreciate your support for my articles. If you liked my story and want to help me out, you can check out my Buy me a coffee ☕ page and get me a cup. Thanks a lot!